I have been helping a client with a new Lotus Protector setup and I ran into a new problem for the first time myself and as I can’t find anything on the web or in the documentation this is a prime candidate for a blog entry:
By default Lotus protector is accessible by two ports: https on port 443 for the admin interface and over https on port 4443 for the client access (e.g. the Notes client displaying your spam queue). I had never felt it necessary to change this before but my current client wanted it the other way around as they felt it would be easier on clients to not have to have them add a [:4443] port to the end of the url to look at their spam queue in a browser. Sensible – I totally agree. Not a difficult thing if you follow this Forum entry on how to do it.
Unfortunately there is not really good technote on how to do this and make sure you cross all your T’s and dot your I’s. What we found out is that you can change the ports (easy peasy) but now when we looked at the spam queues for users they never updated and we just got an endless search loop. Otherwise the system was functional and there were no errors in logs or anything.
One of my colleagues opened a PMR and this is what we got back:
Indeed the problem occurs because the customer changed the ports
between admin user interface (default = 443) and end user interface
(default = 4443). In order to make sure that browsing the message store
does properly work although the ports are changed the following needs
to be done:
and set the proper ports:
Well, now we know how to do it for the future. Hopefully this helps somebody else out there as well. I really like the Protector device, especially the integration with the Notes client which is really great. I like giving end users the power to look and decide themselves WITHOUT having to open another interface outside of their mail client. Here is a link to a presentation I did a while back on the Consultantinyourpocket.com site. It is for an older version of Protector but the basics are still the same.