Thought I’d share this one, it was a bit unique. Anyone out there who has had to do a restore of CCM and CCM files will know it is a pain. I will blog about how to do that separately .. It is not fun.
Here the scenario:
- Client with IBM Connections 5.0, CR3, CCM – very active site,.
- Many communities, allot of File Libraries. Many users use the Windows Plug-ins and access files and CCM libraries via the Windows desktop.
- A user – somehow by mistake – deleted a folder inside a community library (CCM library!) containing a whole bunch of files – and this user did it via the desktop. Apparently what the user did how in Windows Explorer a folder was either moved or deleted (I was never able to exactly find out) and the folder with all files contained in it disappeared. Not to be found.
Long Story Short:
I was in the middle of restoring the Filenet databases from the day before to a separate environment to figure out if I could identify the files and ask the back-up team to restore them for me from tape. I took another look in the system and could not find the files in the acce interface.
But then I had an idea … Connections search indexes it all, no matter where it is.
So, using the Filenet restore I identified the files to look for, did a search for the filenames in Connections … and found them. We then did a “Move to Folder” for all the files (into a new folder in Libraries that we created) and all files were back where they belonged.
So – what this taught us is that deleting folders using the Windows plug-is does nothing to the actual files, it just appears to be removing the pointers to the database that the system needs to display the files … But Connections search still find them all. Like Pokemons … gotta catch’em all!
If I had known this earlier I could have saved myself a day of work …